Monday, April 19, 2010

Whitney Biennial 2 artist comparison

I found Mrs. Jessica Drummond’s “My Reputation” to be a very successful piece. The use of the ink marks is not only very precise, but also very stylized. This piece differed from a lot of the many pieces in the gallery due to the more traditional medium. However, the shape and size of the piece was very unique and striking. The sheer scale of the ink drawing was very impressive in and of itself. The piece also had a very organic feel as if it was unfolded prior to being displayed.

I also found the works of Charles Ray to possess the same traditional style ad medium usage to that of Drummond’s work. The colorful flowers seemed to have a subtlety to them. In other words, the drawings seemed to have hints of color rather than to be glaring bright colors at the viewer. I also enjoyed the amount of work in the context of the installation of Ray’s work. The installation was a decently sized room with nothing on the floor. The works were hung up on the walls surrounding the room. I think this only added to the gentle subtlety that the drawings brought. I didn’t feel like I was in a museum when I was in this installation. Call me weird, but the absolute traditional composition of the entire room made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment